Monday, March 30, 2009

Hot Air on the Horizon

I am well into my first month in New Zealand and the last few weekends have been dedicated to traveling, eating, and fun-having. Depending on the kiwi, I still have no idea what some of them are saying. The accent is a subtle mixture of a sophisticated Brit and a down-under Aussie (but shhhh, don't tell them I said that)!

I have been told yet again that I am "more American than the American's on TV." What does this mean? That I am merely a real person in front of their face, or perhaps that I really do fit the "loud and proud" stereotype? I'm guessing it's a little bit of both.

Being in New Zealand brings about the honor of being the first to participate in "Earth Hour." We brought in the first clock strike of 8:30 p.m. with a huge countdown from 10. When we hit the "3,2,1" cheer-your brains out phase, to my dismay, absolutely nothing happened! I don't think a single light turned off that wasn't already off. It was a bit off-putting, but quite hilarious. I suppose it is like bringing in the new year minus the big, shiny disco-ball drop (and minus the kiss of course, hehe). The best part however, was the amazing fire works show Hamilton put on before the countdown. I was impressed! It was as if I was celebrating New Years Eve & 4th of July all in 10 minutes!

The small town I am in, Hamilton, has 2 claim's to fame:

(1) "Balloons over Waikato" is the big event of about 35 hot air balloons masquerading around the skies over the town, lifting off and landing randomly about for a few days. The wonderful family that picks me up for church on Sunday mornings decided that the way home should be an exciting adventure of "balloon-chasing." We twisted and turned around neighborhood roads to finally catch sight of the "Re/max" balloon. Funny that out of all American based companies, Re/max, the property sellers, would have a hot air balloon in Hamilton, New Zealand!

(2) The "V8" is a huge deal here as well! Not V8 the vegetable drink...V8 the engine-type! They close off all the streets and cars race around the town for 3 days. I believe that is coming up mid-April.


Here are some photographs from the adventures the last few weekends have yielded:

The first one is from the Waitomo Caves, where we are learning how to "absail" down seemingly bottomless, black pits in order to get inside these amazing limestone caves. The caves are filled with rushing water and "glow worms," which are actually cannabalistic maggots with shiny poop that look like stars on the dark cave walls. Romantic, eh?


The second and third are from an adventure to the Coromandel Peninsula. I took a hike with some new friends to Cathedral Cove ---> this was a location spot filmed in the movie series "Chronicles of Narnia."

<3>


I haven't uploaded any pictures yet, but last weekend I went to see a band called "The Fray" in Auckland and it was an amazing show. They sounded even better live than on the radio! We were practically front row, because the band isn't as huge in NZ as in the USA. Perfection!

Still on the lookout for the kiwi bird. It is my new found goal to find one of these suckers while I'm here. Updates to come!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment